Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kaden and Michelle


Jan 18th 2009 Blog
Today was an incredibly happy one. I got to see Kaden!
I was slightly worried that she would not remember me at, but I was also thinking that the bond we have would have lasted, even though six months is a long time in the life of a four year old. I shouldn’t have worried.

No one had told the church or Esezra (Kaden’s grandmother) that we were coming. I preferred it that way, because if they knew, literally the whole village would have awaited our arrival.




Interestingly, even though Kaden had no way of knowing we were coming, she told her grandmother that morning that she had had a dream last night and that a mzungu woman was coming to church today. How did she know that? You know, it’s unexplainable, but I think some people can have brief psychic connections that defy logical explanation. My friend Linda Myer and I have this thing where one of us will be thinking of the other, and the other of us will call that instant… . It happened last week too. Linda was replying to a facebook post (which I had posted several days earlier) in regards to the movie/book, Twilight. I happened to be at Target (nowhere near my computer) and decided to call her before I bought the book and ask if she thought I should read the book first or see the movie first. She answered and said “That was fast!” and I said “what do you mean?” She had JUST hit the send button on her computer, telling me that she had said she thought it would be ok to see the movie first…. She was emailing me about the very thing I was calling to ask her about! Unexplainable!

Anyway, Kaden’s premonition came true. The first person I saw when I walked into the church (already in session) was Esezra. I ran over to hug her, and she pointed to where Kaden was. Kaden jumped into my arms, and I hugged her, and held her all during church! She totally remembered. She was so happy to see me! IT doesn’t matter we don’t speak the same language. She talks, I answer. We might be talking about apples or elephants, or maybe the global economy.but it doesn’t matter… we are having a great time.
We took Kaden and Esezra home, and I had Christmas with them. They live in a single room built on to the back of the house of Esezra’s son. I see why Kaden remembers me. My pictures (which I gave to her this summer) are featured prominently in the home, as are the things I gave to them. My presence is in that home, even though I am not there. That makes me happy, because I think about her every day. She loved the toys and clothes… and the shoes and dresses I bought were the absolute perfect size. Kaden wanted to put on the black and red dress immediately, so she did. She looked like a princess.





1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I just read your posts. I have tears in my eyes. You are doing such wonderful things. How can we help you? Please let me know...
    Love to you, and to Kaden. Have a safe trip home. I know it will be so hard for you to leave...
    Please email me at your earliest convenience and please write more! Sending you hugs and kisses. Love, Tonya and my family

    ReplyDelete